IPv[46] parsing

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Oct 28 09:58:29 CET 2015

--------
In message <CAJV_h0axHvroOtMPM83q=dCFHBtDL_XMzmGLu0q8mwWnCbSEZw at mail.gmail.com>
, Federico Schwindt writes:

>While moving from 4.0.x to 4.1 I noticed that std.ip(..., "::1") doesn't
>work anymore.

I agree this is very far from optimal, but adding special-casing
IPv6 address by IPv6 address is certainly *not* the way forward.

The real question is, what does "::1:8080" mean ?

Please propose the exact algorithm you prose for turning strings
into IP numbers, and bear in mind that we need to be able to
include port numbers.