VC release management in the future (Was: Re: Varnish project autumn cleaning)

Lasse Karstensen lkarsten at varnish-software.com
Wed Oct 28 11:47:52 CET 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 08:49:19AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
[..]
> My preference would be for varnish itself to be OS packages, reachable
> by regular OS packaging tools.

This is already the case.

It is simply a matter of how old the Varnish versions out there should be.

There is a significant amount of deployments out there running 3.0.2
with known bugs, because that is what debian wheezy is shipping.
This Varnish version is a little over 4 years old today.

Regarding the plan for timed releases, before this repo discussion
proceeds, I'd love to hear Ingvar or Stig's input on how this will play
out in the distros.

I understand there will be no stable version, just a continous stream of
make dist from git master every 6 months.

Am I right to assume that distros would then just pick the one latest
available 3-6 months before they cut a release, and then live with it
for 3-5 years during the linux distro lifespan?

Also, since we're not doing a stable release any longer, who is
backporting the bugfixes all of these n packagers need to keep the
Varnishes in their distro safe and reliable?

[cut]
> Some high-profile VMODs may be able to scale that barrier too, but
> the majority wont.

This is not correct.

The majority of vmods in use are on the way into EPEL and Debian these
days. I understand there is some work being done on the FreeBSD ports
side as well.

--
Lasse Karstensen
Varnish Software AS