Build system patch

Guillaume Quintard guillaume at varnish-software.com
Tue Sep 8 11:21:03 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Dridi Boukelmoune <dridi at varni.sh> wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Guillaume Quintard
> <guillaume at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> > One big change is that you don't use "make -C subdir", as there is only one
> > Makefile now, you have to run it from the top directory. The counterpart is
>
> I don't really get this one, I've always found easier to just work
> from the top, builds are already quite fast.

Well, I've seen people is previous jobs who compiled only the subdir
they where in, I don't do it, but I felt it was worth noting :-)

> I haven't tested it yet, but out-of-tree builds are definitely
> something I've been looking for! Did you try to build the docs? I'm
> asking because you didn't mention it.

Yes, documentation builds (well, html at least), you can just "make
html" and it'll build the tools (*opt2rst) needed to do so.

> @Everyone
> Guillaume's patch made me also realize that the tools are built with
> sources from libvarnish instead of linking to libvarnish, is there a
> reason for that?

One thing I forgot : I'm not a big fan of autotools, yet I have to
admit that once set up, it does the job pretty well. And I also like
config.phk for its cleanliness. With only one Makefile to handle, it
may be easier to get rid of configure.ac and use phk's config script.

--
Guillaume Quintard