[patch] "monotonic wallclock time"

Devon H. O'Dell dho at fastly.com
Mon Apr 4 19:34:10 CEST 2016

Hi!

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> --------
> In message <5702235C.90205 at schokola.de>, Nils Goroll writes:
>>On 04/04/16 09:54, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> Deven (@dho) has proposed switching to 64bit ints for time format
>>> and he claims to have numbers showing this being a good idea.
>>
>>Sure. Regarding his proposal I am waiting for details.

I'll send a separate email to the list regarding Varnish performance
stuff that is immediately interesting to us.

>>Other than that, changing the datatype and my proposal are independent. So my
>>question at this point is: Does my proposal make any sense?
>
> Since Devon has looked at this, he may have a more informed answer than
> me, so talk to him first.

Looking at the patch, I believe this proposal is entirely independent
of what I would propose and can be considered separately. I don't
believe that the performance comment is necessarily useful --
monotonic time interfaces may be faster to access, but we don't need
to manage a real and monotonic time component per-request, and it
doesn't need to be double-precision FP (which kills some performance
gains you get from using that interface anyway). But that doesn't
really matter for the context of this patch, which I think is useful
and solves a real problem, and changing it to behave differently is
much more invasive.

--dho