VIP6 / Re: backend PROXY support - thought dump

Nils Goroll slink at schokola.de
Mon Apr 4 23:46:08 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 25/03/16 16:12, Nils Goroll wrote:
> I now think that we should really support configuration for
> PROXY mode by means of a backend protocol property: Whether a socket we
> connect to supports PROXY (or even CLUSTER as suggested above) is purely a
> property of that socket and we should avoid the need to duplicate this
> information in VCL.

Quoting VIP6
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/wiki/VIP6:-What-does-pipe-mean-in-Varnish5%3F

	We add a std.send_proxy_header() which can be called from vcl_pipe{}
	only.

I think whether or not a PROXY header gets added should be based on an attribute
of the chosen backend, anything else results in a blowup of VCL code.

Nils