Varnish performance musings

Federico Schwindt fgsch at lodoss.net
Wed Apr 6 14:46:56 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm all for the LUT idea and I think it makes even more sense when you
consider H/2.

Having the same timestamp during a particular method also makes sense.
I believe we only need to change now calls to use ctx->now instead of
getting the time on each call but haven't looked into detail.

Being a bit smarter wrt some regular expressions might also be a good idea,
specially for cases like the one you mentioned.
FWIW, we have re-enabled JIT in recent Varnish versions for PCRE >= 8.32.
Perhaps it's worth checking if this provides any benefit before we consider
optimizing the custom patterns.