autoconf madness

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Thu Dec 22 14:18:28 CET 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> --------
> In message <a10c3956-6af9-e82b-c7bc-1fa1e03451e6 at schokola.de>, Nils Goroll writ
> es:
>
>>Any ideas?
>
> Not apart from "get rid of autocrap sooner rather than later".

I had a look at how we manage CFLAGS, including developer flags and
it's a big [1] mess. I have a definite plan on how to clean it up, and
will submit a pull request. There are unfortunately some special cases
that I will leave alone for now. And *then* I can look at Nils' specific
problem.

Now, my main concern is that we append flags to CFLAGS, overriding
presets that should take precedence (passing CFLAGS via the
environment or the configure command line). It may be related to Nils'
problem, but at this point I think not.

As a side note, I ran into E_ANONYMOUS_UNION_DECL (in struct suckaddr)
while building with suncc (in C11 but not C99), didn't get any further
because I realized I haven't had lunch yet. I think it should be ignored
when developer flags are enabled, leaving it to Nils for now.

Cheers,
Dridi

[1] it's a euphemism :p