Paper to think about...

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Wed Jun 15 18:35:17 CEST 2016

>> I vote for the classification into expert- and non-expert-level params,
>> and very strongly against removing any of them for no other reason than
>> having fewer of them.
>

> How do you feel about making a few more of them compile time options? This would reduce the apparent number of parameters that will confuse the bit-twidlers, shorten the docs and hopefully make people invest more time and effort in figuring out the remaining parameters.

The great thing about `param.set` is that we can do it at run time. If
we take the very extreme end of the expert spectrum, one can have
auto-tuning in place depending on monitoring of some sort.

>From a less extreme PoV, tweaking a parameter would mean having to
recompile, reinstall and restart Varnish. Tweaking becomes a show
stopper if that means such long feedback cycles. It may take time to
put the system back into a measurable state, and it means that you
can't safely tune your production without losing your cache for every
single tweak.

Dridi