Varnish Project migration and mailing lists future

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Mar 8 22:38:29 CET 2016

As I have warned earlier, we are busy reevaluating all the Varnish
Cache projects infrastructure.

Starting tomorrow, wednesday march 9th 2016, noon-ish, our main
source code repository will live on github:

	https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache

In the future bugreports and patches will happen through githubs
facilities for issues and pull-requests.  (We have taken a snapshot
of the old tickets, so history is preserved.)

The new homepage is in the works -- any day or possibly week now.

Next up was migrating email and mailing-lists to the new server.

As somebody who wrote a sendmail.cf from scratch back in 198x when
Denmark got connected to the Internet, I was really not looking
forward to having to deal with spam-filtering and all that crap.

But like Mr. Prosser, I would argue: "It's email, you got to have email!"

Ruben prompted me to take a closer, more critical look, and that
was a good idea.

As far as I can see, Stackoverflow.com has significantly more Varnish
traffic than our own varnish-misc list.

Judging from the archives, a lot of the current varnish-dev traffic
move to github as part of the pull requests handling.

So Ruben has a point:  It might be time to lie down in front of
the bulldozer.

Here is a strawman proposal to down-size our email:

    -misc
	autoreply
	"Please use stackoverflow.com instead"

    -core
	alias
	Incoming contact point for project management.

    -security
	alias
	Incoming contact point for security issues.

    -comitters
	mailman, closed subscription
	Info-channel for sysadm like messages

    -announce.
	mailman, open subscription, moderated.
	For official project information only.

    -commit
	mailman, open subscription, no posting
	Robot sends one email per commit
	(Do we one such list for each repo ?)

    -dev
	mailman, open subscription
	Technical discussions, warnings, anouncements.

I have no idea how much traffic -dev will see in the future, but I
I want to keep it as a "technical list" which is open for two-way
communication.

-dev will be the only "sign up and spam" list we have, and given
the usual low level of traffic, I propose we deal with that moderating
the list and white-list people as we go.

Comments, observations, ideas ?