Renewed (temporary) commitment to Jenkins (Was: Re: Continuous integration moves to Travis CI)

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Fri May 6 13:55:17 CEST 2016

>>I hope interested members of the community will consider volunteering
>>effort to keep Varnish running on their platform, by assisting in
>>implementing the new CI system proposed in VIP5[1].
>
> Yes Please!

Hello,

Since Travis CI is too limited (because it does not support all Varnish
supported platforms) but probably capable of building everything from
source, couldn't it be used to produce comprehensive dist tarballs?

People setting up CI on any platform could proceed without graphviz,
python-docutils, sphinx and possibly others I'm missing. It might also
be possible to skip python altogether if VMOD interfaces are generated
at dist-time.

Obviously some work needs to be done to produce proper tarballs (eg.
varnish-${BRANCH}-${SHORTCOMMIT}.tar.gz) but it could also remove
some packaging burden for everyone else.

Best,
Dridi