autocrap de-cargo-culting

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Sat Nov 26 11:58:40 CET 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> --------
> In message <CABoVN9AGyrU2hYbYS2J=1YrppCJZJtVReApqfLNjyRBQPpDybg at mail.gmail.com>
> , Dridi Boukelmoune writes:
>
>>> Does anybody know of any reason not to apply this patch ?
>
>>Short answer is, no, you can't safely apply this patch. It depends on
>>what you'd consider safe.
>
> The above patch was arrived at by spotting things autocrap examined
> where we subsequently totally ignore the result of the examination.
>
> What's unsafe about that ?

There's a reason why *_LIBS variables are created in such a convoluted
way, and it's first on my list of things to clean up so I'll pick this
de-cargo-culting bit myself if you don't mind.

If you don't save the libs, binaries linking to ${NET_LIBS} will also
link to all the previous libs.

Some commands like AC_PROG_CC will actually check that the compiler
works by compiling a file. It possibly does other things that I don't
remember of. If you are running out of autocrap patience I can move
that up in my todo list and do the same kind of cleaning that I did
for VMODs. That would be on the master branch so that maintainers can
yell at me soon enough if I break someone else's machine.

Dridi