5.0 release one week away

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Sep 8 10:50:45 CEST 2016

We are one week from the 5.0 release, and that means that we should
have been in a "code-slush" for some time and in a hard "code-freeze"
for a week.

Life didn't happen that way, and 5.0 isn't going to be anybodys
favourite release, but we're releasing it next thursday anyway.

Focus the next seven days should be on bugs, docs and relnotes.

I'll update to trunk on v-c.o in a few moments, if anybody else
has sites they could stick -trunk on, please do, and let us find
most of the silly bugs before the release.

H2 is not even close to production ready, but at least one can
play with it a bit.

I'm not sure what the march'17 release should be yet, 5.1 or 6.0,
but I suggest we try to decide it before november 1st.

The panic related to my house-building project has resolved itself,
and since the concrete elements won't arrive until late february
I'll have a chance to concentrate more on the next release.

Which reminds me: if anybody has ideas/leads about who I should hit
up for some VML money, please drop me an email, I'm running about
3000 EUR/month below the usual activity level, and that isn't helping.


Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk at FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

More information about the varnish-dev mailing list