autoconf madness

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jan 19 18:00:14 CET 2017

--------
In message <CABoVN9DKswgGkEVQ+Jb-HUvx1PNyyPc0o5+nrzZ=R732Q9gBiQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Dridi Boukelmoune writes:

Yes, we are probably poor users of autocrap.

But I don't want to make excuses for that.

We're trying to build 8 small binaries, three static and four dynamic
libraries.

We should not have to even think about build infrastructure *at all*.

*It* *should* *just* *work*.

And that is why I want to get rid of autocrap:  It doesn't just work,
not even close.

>Also please note that Guillaume once submitted a patch for a
>non-recursive automake build, which I think would also help contain
>the complexity^Wmadness.

Absolutely, and I'd love to have that going in.

The only change I ask is that each of the lib/bin subdirectories
have a trivial makefile along the lines of:

	*:
		cd ../.. && make $(*)

(no, make(1) doesn't grok that, but you get the idea...