VDD summary

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Wed May 16 08:34:35 UTC 2018

On 05/16/2018 09:56 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> It would have to be possible to say
>
> 	vmod.tell  somevcl::somevmod "bla bla bla"
>
> To target a single one, but it is probably ill-advised to insist
> on always only targeting a single one.

... and then it's easy to imagine syntax like:

# Mumble to somevmod in every loaded instance
vmod.tell *::somevmod "mumble"

# Mumble to somevmod in the active instance
vmod.tell $$ACTIVE::somevmod "mumble"

Assuming that some string $$ACTIVE can be formed that may not be the
name of any VCL instance.

I doubt that we need somevcl::* or *::*, since it's unlikely that
there's a command that every VMOD's CLI will understand. Unless for some
reason we think of a command that any VMOD with a CLI should support,
which I guess is not out of the question after all. Think of something
like "give me back a version string for the VMOD".

Best,
Geoff
--
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917