Divorcing varnishtest from varnish-cache

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Sep 22 17:34:17 UTC 2018

We discussed this at our developer summit in Hamburg yesterday
and I had made some experiments on the train down there.

The suggested plan right now is:

1. Try to gain control of the empty 'vtest' account on github
   I've sent them a message.  (Do we know any insiders ?)
   Alternative name suggestions if this fails are most welcome.

2. Create a vtest repository which contains:

   ./README
   ./Makefile
   ./lib/
	(slimmed down) files from lib/libvarnish
   ./src/
	bin/varnishtest/*.[ch]
   ./tests/
	a?????.vtc tests, purged from varnishd usage

   My in-train test got it down to 29kLOC.

3. Give developer access to interested & trustworthy parties

   We should probably define an informal review/design process, so
   that nobody drags the carpet under somebody else by accident.

4. No binary packages/releases will be built at this time

   HAproxy and Varnish-Cache can/will import by whatever
   means from the new common 'vtest' project, and build
   vtest the way which works best for their project.
   (V-C obviously have some backwards compat issues)

5. See where that takes us.