Divorcing varnishtest from varnish-cache

Willy Tarreau w at 1wt.eu
Mon Sep 24 12:17:56 UTC 2018

Hi Marcus,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 02:04:33PM +0200, Marcus Rückert wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:34:17 +0000
> "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> > 4. No binary packages/releases will be built at this time
> >
> >    HAproxy and Varnish-Cache can/will import by whatever
> >    means from the new common 'vtest' project, and build
> >    vtest the way which works best for their project.
> >    (V-C obviously have some backwards compat issues)
>
> >From a distribution standpoint ... why not make it into a library from
> the beginning to avoid code duplication?

It would in my opinion cause more code duplication in fact. It really
is a complete utility already and splitting it would force both projects
to reimplement part of the glue needed to use the common parts. That
would create undesired dependencies and conflicts for no benefit.

I'm pretty sure that soon what will be needed is just
"git clone github:/vtest/vtest", configure, make and then you're done.
That's very convenient for a developer.

Cheers,
Willy