VIP23 (VSL refactoring) design sketch

Nils Goroll nils.goroll at uplex.de
Wed Apr 10 14:24:13 UTC 2019

On 10/04/2019 16:07, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> If each VSL record invokes its own C-function, we eat up a LOT of L1+L2
> cache bandwidth. If they all call the same function, we do not.

OK, understood.

I wonder though if all things considered (format string parsing, definition
lookup, varargs processing) this pays off. I got no data on this, but one
counter-argument might be that, for custom functions, one would expect no/very
few conditionals, so we would likely see no/very few pipeline stalls .

Nils

--

** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

tel +49 40 28805731
mob +49 170 2723133