on the vsl format - VIP23 (VSL refactoring) design sketch

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Apr 12 19:00:03 UTC 2019

--------
In message <6b8d3465-2245-ba3a-7c80-4b76200782e9 at uplex.de>, Nils Goroll writes:

>For the binary VSL records we already agreed that fixed length fields always
>come first. Because we have the length and know the size of the fixed part, we
>can could put in another STRING or header as follows:

Well, agreed and agreed...

If we go with the "printf-format" model, and we wait a bit before we
rearrange the order of fields, we can do A/B testing, and i think
that is a very good trade-off for maybe not gaining quite as much
performance up front.

Then once we have switched over and the dust have settled, we can
start to optimize field order.