tabular CLI output proof of concept hack

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Tue Feb 12 13:12:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:22 PM Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> In message <CABoVN9DEjdVU1XL1QWwn8DycHSfcVoLdRB-z=H5jUeEPy4M91A at mail.gmail.com>, Dridi Boukelmoune writes:
> >> But I am also seriously wondering if we should go even further and
> >> have varnishd *only* produce JSON output, and leave the render-for-humans
> >> aspect to varnishapi or even varnishadm.
> >
> >Ideally implement it in libvarnish.a and expose it in libvarnishapi,
> >with a way for varnishadm to specify a window size in interactive
> >mode. This way varnishd -d will be able to produce the plain text
> >output.
>
> I think you need to unpack that a bit before I follow ?

My bad!

When you run varnishd -d from a terminal you may send CLI commands
from stdin and read responses from stdout. So whether it's in a VTC
log or run interactively, I think it would be harder to read the JSON
output (parsing with eyeballs=).

So my thought was that varnishd -d should stay human-friendly and
stick to plain text.

Dridi