Packaging varnish for Fedora

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed May 2 17:26:27 CEST 2007

Ingvar Hagelund <ingvar at linpro.no> writes:
> Do you have a simple startup configuration that I can just use? Should I
> involve varnishncsa to make those nice apache-like logs? Can they work
> automatically together, with a named pipe or something like that?

No configuration is needed - varnishlog should "just work" as long as
varnishd is running.

I would recommend simply running 'varnishlog -w /var/log/varnish.log'
to store raw log data.  It will reopen the file if it receives a HUP,
so it plays nice with logrotate / newsyslog.

There is no need to run any of the other logging tools, as they can
all work on previously stored raw log data.  For instance, you can run
'varnishncsa -r /var/log/varnish.log' at any time to produce NCSA logs
which analog can read, etc.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav