varnishlog

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Mon Mar 3 11:19:45 CET 2008

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen <ssm at linpro.no> writes:
> Problem is, most of my Varnish installations are previous squid sites,
> and varnish + varnishlog is less resource intensive than squid, while
> performing better.  Having a detailed log available by default is
> incredibly useful, particularly for new sites.

I think varnishncsa delivers the kind of logs people are used to from
Squid.  Enabling varnishncsa by default is fine, but varnishlog will
fill up people's disks too quickly, and they may not even be aware of
it before their log partition is full.

> Or maybe I'm more fond of having data for debugging than available
> diskspace.

The problem is that we're talking *lots* of disk space...  perhaps
around 1 kB per request.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav