patching jemalloc for linux

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar at redpill-linpro.com
Mon Nov 9 12:23:41 CET 2009

Hello, Jason.

I sent a similar mail 2009-06-05. I guess you are busy on other
projects, but I dare bothering you anyway :-)

You may know the varnish project, where Poul-Henning Kamp is the main
developer. I maintain varnish in Fedora. Some time ago, I asked you
about some strangeness on RHEL5/ppc64.

Now for another case of strange architectures. I got a Fedora bug
because varnish does not compile on s390x, which is a secondary
supported arch in Fedora. The problem is that the version of jemalloc
that we use is missing the necessary ifdefs to work on s390x. So I made
the patch attached, and phk pointed at you.

I don't know much about the s390* platform family, but I got from one of
the Fedora s390x maintainers that the pointer size is 8 bytes, and that
'getconf PAGESIZE' returns 4096.

So, does the patch make sense?

And by the way, is there an upstream project of jemalloc?

Update: Added a similar patch for sparc. Same question.

Regards,
Ingvar Hagelund