Pid filename incorrect and -j not allowed with 4.1 and ubuntu

Bert Hekman demontpx at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:56:18 CET 2016

Hi,

I've just installed varnish 4.1 on a ubuntu trusty server and noticed two
issues with the deb package.

The first is that the pidfile points to /run/.pid. I've found out that this
filename is generated in /etc/init.d/varnish:

PIDFILE=/run/$NAME.pid

$NAME does not seem to be defined.

The second issue is when I want to use the -j argument. I should be able to
configure this in /etc/default/varnish in the DAEMON_OPTS variable. But
when I start the daemon, it fails with the following message:

 * Starting HTTP accelerator varnish
   ...fail!
Error: -j must be the first argument

When I put the -j argument as the first argument in the DAEMON_OPTS, it
still fails. This is because in /etc/init.d/varnish "-P ${PIDFILE}" comes
before "${DAEMON_OPTS}"

Cheers,
Bert Hekman