Quick explanation of the VCL commands?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 18:10:52 CET 2006

Hi everybody. Tomorrow I'll install Varnish on a big projects
preproduction site, to replace squid, mostly because I can't get Squid
to actually cache anything no matter how much documentation I read.
Varnish, despite the lack of documentation, I got up and modified the
configuration for my needs in an hour. :-)

However, I'm gonna spend tomorrow trying to optimize the configuration
and would like to understand VCL a bit better. Mostly, I wonder if
there is a document that explains, or if somebody can quickly explain,
what all the VCL commands, pipe, pass, insert_pass and so on do.

Just a quick explanation would suffice, I think. I tried to read the
source, but the lack of comments meant it didn't help. ;)

Thanks!

CPS Content Management     http://www.nuxeo.org/