Quick explanation of the VCL commands?

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Fri Nov 10 16:21:56 CET 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 00:01, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Anton Stonor <stonorn at giraffen.dk> wrote:
> > Also, have a look at PHK's presentation -- the diagram on page 20 is
> > helpful in understanding of what is going on:
>
> Yeah, super, thanks!
>
> Now all I need to know is what the difference between pass and pipe is...

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/svn/trunk/varnish-doc/en/varnish-architecture/article.xml

1.3.6 Pass and Pipe modes

	  Requests which the can not or should not be handled by
	  Varnish can be either passed through or piped through to
	  the backend.

	  Passing acts on a per-request basis and tries to make the
	  connection to both the client and the backend reusable.

	  Piping acts as a transparent tunnel and whatever happens
	  for the rest of the lifetime of the client and backend
	  connection is not interpreted by Varnish.