Purging. Now what?

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Sun Nov 12 16:47:52 CET 2006

Now that I can trigger a purge when a customer presses "save" in our CMS, the
next step is trying to do it somewhat smarter...

Purging everything from all hosts in the cache is simple via telnet, but a bit
brutish. It could get noticable as well, with maybe 50 customers saving
through the day..

Purging one url at a time is more presice, but then I have to keep track of
what to purge. Finding all urls in a site is not very efficient, and 95% of
those would not be in the cache  anyway.

I could build a small daemon to tail the access logs, and keep a running
buffer of recently accessed pages. Then I could easily prefetch pages as
well, after purging them. But it does not feel quite right this either...
Sort of buliding a shadow copy of varnish timeout mechanism.

Any good suggestions?

Regards
Gaute Amundsen