PID file; VCL code generation

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Oct 13 15:23:07 CEST 2006

In message <20061013131508.GG30977 at voodoo.schug.net>, Christoph Schug writes:
>On Fri, Oct 13, 2006, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
>> "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>> > I really really really do not want to see Varnish sprout a ton
>> > of weird support files which people have to think about.
>>
>> Hopefully, the only person who needs to think about the compiler
>> helper script is the person doing the packaging for your favorite
>> distribution...
>
>I don't see a difference, whether the program called is a real C
>compiler or just a shell script which sorts out platform-specific stuff
>(whoever this one likes to maintain). In case it is a user configurable
>path with default to the current setting it simply doen't matter, does
>it?

One of the design goals of Varnish was "one single file".  If you
have ever had an emergency at 2:05AM, you know that to be a very
important feature.

I have yet to see one single computer where the command to build a
shared object could not be encoded in a single command line and
therefore I see no reason to invalidate one of our goals for
that reason.