1.1.1 progress

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Mon Aug 13 17:56:36 CEST 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at linpro.no> writes:
>> Ricardo Newbery <ric at digitalmarbles.com> writes:
>>> Not so fast.  I still needed to update automake as per the
>>> instructions on http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/Installation
>>> (slightly modified since the autogen.sh file is now a little
>>> different).
>> Why?  I would expect that /opt/local/bin would be in your path if you
>> had anything of interest installed there.
>
> I see that these instructions say that the automake version that comes
> with Mac OS X (Xcode, actually) is too old, but I haven't had any
> problems with it.  Just use the system's automake and ignore the
> warning from autogen.sh.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav
> Senior Software Developer
> Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

Without the updated automake, I get this...

$ ./autogen.sh

+ aclocal
+ glibtoolize --copy --force
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
+ autoheader
+ automake --add-missing --copy --foreign
configure.ac: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `./missing'
bin/varnishadm/Makefile.am: installing `./compile'
bin/varnishadm/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
lib/libvarnish/Makefile.am:5: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is
undefined
lib/libvarnish/Makefile.am:5:
lib/libvarnish/Makefile.am:5: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to
add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/libvarnish/Makefile.am:5: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and
`autoconf' again.
lib/libvarnishapi/Makefile.am:5: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL'
is undefined
lib/libvarnishapi/Makefile.am:5:
lib/libvarnishapi/Makefile.am:5: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is
to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/libvarnishapi/Makefile.am:5: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal'
and `autoconf' again.
lib/libvarnishcompat/Makefile.am:5: Libtool library used but
`LIBTOOL' is undefined
lib/libvarnishcompat/Makefile.am:5:
lib/libvarnishcompat/Makefile.am:5: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL'
is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/libvarnishcompat/Makefile.am:5: to `configure.ac' and run
`aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
lib/libvcl/Makefile.am:5: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is
undefined
lib/libvcl/Makefile.am:5:
lib/libvcl/Makefile.am:5: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
lib/libvcl/Makefile.am:5: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and
`autoconf' again.

And configure is not created so ignoring the warning is not an option.

Ric