disable sendfile in Varnish, please

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Dec 10 17:17:47 CET 2007

In message <EEF3518D-EA59-4B21-9CB0-D3F71075E8DA at anduin.net>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ei
rik_=D8verby?= writes:

>Hi,
>
>is this still a problem?

Yes, sendfile is not currently usable because it does not tell
us when it is _really_ done with the data we send, so it can
run afoul of our reuse of the memory for short lived objects.

I have not spent any time on it, as the performance hit from
using writev(2) seems to be trivial if one has plenty of RAM
and because the real fix for the sendfile issue is likely
to mean a redefinition of the sendfile system call.

Poul-Henning