Urchin

Arne varnish at kepp.net
Sat Feb 17 03:20:07 CET 2007

I think the previous analysis regarding Urchin / Google Analytics may be
incorrect.

Urchin is client-side, it loads urchin.js from
http://www.googleanalytics.com and reports its findings back to one of
Googles servers. However, it also hands out 4 cookies to every visitor,
and those look like they have been placed by the original domain.

So if I understand you correctly (the list and the man-page) , then
practically nothing on my website would be cached using the default
configuration, due to (req.request == "GET" && req.http.cookie) ?

Is there any way to ignore *only* the Google-cookies? They're
consistently named __utma, __utmb, __utmc and __utmz

I think Google Analytics appeals to the same crowd that would benefit
from using Varnish, so if there's no elegant way of doing it now it
should be considered for 2.x. Fingers crossed you get the funding, I'd
love to see it run Wikipedia.

-Arne