VCL help needed

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Jan 31 05:03:12 CET 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 10:24 PM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2007, at 22:16, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> This works because what I want to cache are the .css, .gif, .jpg,
>> .swf, .mp3 files - since virtually all the actual HTML is dynamically
>> generated out of a database, simply off-loading the delivery of other
>> files is the key thing I want varnish to do.
>
> Why not just serve the static media from a separate hostname?

The client would rather pay me than have to change all the hard-coded
information in all the places.  And there are some other issues with
the way the site is coded that might make it difficult (each user has a
URL of the form username.domain.com) .

Besides we seem to be saving some CPU overhead just in having Varnish
handle the sometimes-slow TCP connections with the users (not all are
on high speed connections).

> On a related note, Cal Henderson wrote a good article about making
> css, javascript and image files extra cacheable.
>
> 	http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/webapps/serving-javascript-fast

thanks for the link!

--Patrick