Problem with varnish and caching

Anders Berg andersb at vgnett.no
Sun Jul 1 16:07:04 CEST 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:10:16 -0500
> From: "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
> Subject: Re: Problem with varnish and caching
> To: Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des at linpro.no>
> Cc: varnish-misc at projects.linpro.no
>
> Whether this is part of a different specification or not, it's
> unreasonable for Varnish to NOT cache static, cacheable objects by
> default, solely because these requests were sent along with Cookies.

I am not aware of any HTTP accelerator that would caching this by
default. Since I believe it is a direct violation of all standards.
Think of it this way: Why cache pages that are said to be dynamic by the
webpage.

Squid and Bluecoats will not cache these pages, and the mechanism(s) to
tune that are far from fine grained.

> In effect, the default Varnish policy of not caching Cookied requests
> causes Varnish not to cache anything at all for most sites (you know,
> there are tons of people out there using Google Analytics).  Think about
> it: why would people want the overhead of a non-caching accelerating
> proxy?

Here you assume "most sites" use Google Analytics. I am not so sure
about that. Either way, while Varnish will suite almost any site you can
imagine, it's strengths will be most appreciated by "larger" sites. With
larger sites I mean sites that would not dream of using Google Analytics.

YS
Anders Berg