Varnish and Perlbal

André Cruz andre.cruz at segula.pt
Mon Jul 2 13:18:16 CEST 2007

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to Varnish and I'm evaluating it in order to know if/how
there is an advantage in adding it to our application flow. (well,
I'm pretty much convinced there IS an advantage so now I'm just
looking for the best way to use it).

Right now I have 2 Perlbals balancing requests to 4 apache backends.
I'm very happy with Perlbal's load balancing capabilities so I'm
looking for the best way to integrate varnish with this Perlbal
+Apache configuration. Which should come first in the flow; Perbal or
Varnish?

I read here in the list someone saying that they had Varnish
alongside apache, but this way I would have 4 separate caches. In my
case it seems a better idea to have Varnish in the 2 Perlbal machines
since Perlbal uses only one processor and very little RAM. What do
you guys think?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

André Cruz