logging problems - "Pipe Shut"

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Tue Jul 3 15:31:35 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 15:18, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Gaute Amundsen <gaute at pht.no> writes:
> > We have had logging running for about a week now with no apparent
> > problems, but yesterday I routed all our traffic into varnish, and now
> > bad things happen.
> >
> > /var/log/varnish/varnish.log just stops growing after a while and a
> > tail -n 1 gives me pages after pages of:
> >
> > Pipe Shut write(read)Pipe Shut read(read)Pipe Shut write(read)Pipe
> > Shut read(read)Pipe Shut write(read)Pipe Shut read(read)Pipe Shut
> > write(read)Pipe
> >
> > Over 4 megs of it just now actualy.
>
> It's not a text file, so tailing it is meaningless.

I know, in theory, except for tail -f into varnshncsa, but when all is ok I
have not gotten more than half a screenfull yet.

> Have you verified that logrotate is correctly set up?

Not thorougly, but all I have changed is addning:
    prerotate
        /usr/bin/python /root/bin/awstats_from_varnishlog.py
    endscript

Rotation is weekly, and the previous logs have sane dates.

G.