Problem with varnish and caching

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Tue Jul 3 18:30:23 CEST 2007

On lun, 2007-07-02 at 22:42 -0700, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:26, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>
> > I never insulted any of you.
>
> You really should go see a therapist.   Just tell him or her: "People
> think I'm a rude idiot - please help me."

I will convey your thoughts to my therapist.  We'll probably laugh about
it over a bottle (or two) of scotch.

> In your weblog post you called Dag-Erling and Poul-Henning "thin-
> skinned".  Rather than disagree (although I do) with that I'll
> contest the assumption that having "thick skin" should be a
> prerequisite for building or participating in an open source community.

Yes, having a thick skin is a prerequisite for participating in a
community where everyone can actually *talk* to you and *reach* you.
Being thick-skinned means:

- not taking criticism of your product PERSONALLY
- conceding that others may have a point, however wrong their arguments
appear to be
- empathy

Under that definition, neither Dag-Erling, nor Poul-Henning have a thick
skin.

> To be on-topic: I agree with the current conservative, RFC compliant
> default behavior.   (Or to be more accurate: it was caching just fine
> for my use-case, too).

Well, then Varnish is a perfect fit for you.  It wasn't for me, and (I
spent some time reading Varnish's varnish-misc mailing list) I
discovered others had experienced the same problem.

>   - ask

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	The R Zone - http://rudd-o.com/
	GPG key ID 0xC8D28B92 at http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/