Problem with varnish and caching

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Wed Jul 4 07:03:30 CEST 2007

Thanks a lot.  Will use this to tune Varnish better.  This functionality
is not mentioned in the manual page of vcl, nor was it conveyed to me by
Dag-Erling or Poul-Henning.

On mié, 2007-07-04 at 09:37 +0530, Anup Shukla wrote:
> Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> > The optimum behaviour would be Varnish caching static files
> > (img,css,jpg,png, based on response HTTP headers) and not caching
> > dynamic ones.  But as it currently stands, Varnish configuration
> > language doesn't allow caching to be controlled based on the response
> > headers, only on the request ones.  Squid, however, does.
> >

> I had a similar situation.
> In my case the site is 100% php, so in effect anything that comes out
> with Content-Type text/html is php generated and given the nature of the
> site, its not cacheable.
>
> I have also put below my VCL configuration which works fine for me.
> Its not much of a high quality configuration, but works for me.
>
> Suggestion, as always, are welcome :)
>
> sub vcl_recv {
>         if (req.request == "GET" && req.http.cookie) {
>                 lookup;
>         }
> }
>
> sub vcl_fetch {
>         if (!obj.valid) {
>                 error;
>         }
>         if (!obj.cacheable) {
>                 pass;
>         }
>         if (resp.http.Content-Type ~ "text/html") {
>                 pass;
>         }
>         if (resp.http.Set-Cookie) {
>                 insert;
>         }
>         insert;
> }
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards
> A.S
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	The R Zone - http://rudd-o.com/
	GPG key ID 0xC8D28B92 at http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/

Now playing, courtesy of Amarok: VA - Ingen sommar utan reggae - Markoolio
As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.
		-- Shakespeare, "King Lear"