Q: Caching Hierachy

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Jul 4 09:52:43 CEST 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Christoph wrote:

> I need to build a hierachical caching plattform. The Goal is, to have
> multiple frontends that will expire in sync.
[...]
> Is this possible with varnish?

I haven't tried it with varnish, but I think it should work if you
use "Expires: ..." rather than "Cache-Control: max-age=..." to
specify the TTL.

I'm curious why you want to use that setup though.  It seems like you
are just introducing an extra single point of failure and wasting a
lot of memory.    There are at least a couple of different setups
that seems more reasonable.    What are you trying to accomplish?

  - ask