child process restarts frequently

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Thu Jul 5 13:43:39 CEST 2007

Håvard Futsæter <havard.futseter at met.no> writes:
> This object is then requested and delivered from cache several times.
> Then we see the following in the log, at a time immediately after
> 14:59:27:
>
> 0 ExpPick        138012248
> 0 VCL_call       timeout
> 0 VCL_return     discard

vcl_timeout() is called for every object in cache 30 seconds before it
expires.  The default action is "discard".  The alternative, "prefetch",
has not been implemented yet.

> ...immediately following this( ca.14:59:33 ) we get:
>
> 0 ExpBan         138012248 was banned
> 0 CLI            Rd vcl.load boot /tmp/vcl.XXfdES7y
> 0 CLI            Wr 0 200 Loaded "/tmp/vcl.XXfdES7y" as "boot"
> 0 CLI            Rd vcl.use boot
> 0 CLI            Wr 0 200
> 0 CLI            Rd start
> 0 CLI            Wr 0 200

The child process crashed while or immediately after recycling the
discarded object.

> The weird thing is that it seems to happen at the exact same time
> every day. At 07:59 and 14:59 the child processs is restarted in the
> manner shown above. We have a lot of requests which expires at each
> whole hour, but I have no idea if this is related in any way.

Does your backend deliver objects which always expire at either 08:00 or
15:00?

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav