Q: multiple backends

Denis Brækhus denis at startsiden.no
Tue Jul 10 13:52:14 CEST 2007

----- Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> There is your point right there:  You won't have "all of the above"
> any time soon.  What I'm looking for is input in which 20% of the
> work gives 80% of the benefit.

A huge step would be to have even a basic facility for multiple backends, like round-robin or weighted round-robin (which should theoretically be the easiest models to implement as they require little in the way of monitoring of the backends?).

Having such an option would enable people to setup simple fault-tolerance and would increase the usability of Varnish a lot.
More advanced models of dividing the load on the backends are (very) nice to have features imho, the big leap is any functionality at all.

Of course this is all purely my humble opinion.

Regards
--
Denis Braekhus - Teknisk Ansvarlig ABC Startsiden AS
http://www.startsiden.no