curious ab result when -k option included?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue Jul 24 11:11:31 CEST 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at linpro.no> writes:
> "Monty Ree" <chulmin2 at hotmail.com> writes:
> > Why this result happens? varnish doesn't support keepalive?
> I see the same symptom; tcpdump shows that ab does not send a new
> request after receiving each answer, but waits for the session to time
> out and then reconnects.  I'm not sure if it's a bug in ab or in
> Varnish.

Varnish always responds with HTTP 1.1 (even though ab sends HTTP 1.0
requests) and does not send "Connection: keep-alive" (since that is the
default in HTTP 1.1).

With the attached patch, I get the following results on my laptop:

Concurrency Level:      200
Time taken for tests:   46.386721 seconds
Complete requests:      100000
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Keep-Alive requests:    100000
Total transferred:      23420240072 bytes
HTML transferred:       23396793740 bytes
Time per request:       92.773 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       0.464 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          493057.66 [Kbytes/sec] received

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer