Best Practices - Suggestions Request

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jun 26 12:42:48 CEST 2007

In message <4680E932.5040906 at iamcool.net>, Anup Shukla writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>I have put the cache file (or whatever its called as) under /cache/varnish
>the parameters are .................... -s
>file,/cache/varnish/varnish_storage.bin,2G
>
>Disk space should not be a problem as there is plenty available.
>Initially i had kept the size to 8G, but changed it 2G later.
>I doubt if that has any affect apart from being able to store not more
>than 2G of cached content.

Well, that could be your problem, right now Varnish doesn't deal
well with running out of storage, (DES is working on that right now)

>The only reason i changed it to 2G was that, i noticed the size of
>varnishd process kept on increasing.

That's normal, expected and shouldn't worry you unless Varnish
forceses more important processes into the defensive.

Varnish is designed around virtual memory and very few people have
learned yet, that allocating a lot of virtual memory is not by
definition a bad thing, it all depends how you use it.

I would try to give it a bit more space if the crashes persist.