setting varnish storage size

Anup Shukla anup at iamcool.net
Sat Jun 30 05:51:24 CEST 2007

jean-marc pouchoulon wrote:
> Hi ,
> I'm a bit confused  about /var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin
> I use varnish 1.0.0.4 under linux fedora 6 ( using a vserver ).
>
> I set in /etc/sysconfig varnish VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE=2G
> and the size of the file still remains to one GIGA
>
>  -rw------- 1 root root 1,0G jun 29 19:27
> /var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin
>
> setting  VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE=2000G /var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin
>

> setting 3000G I get
> -rw------- 1 root root 1,5G jun 29 19:29
> /var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin
>
> mm what I don't understand ? ( the % parameter ?)
>
> thanks

Are you using 32-bit hardware?
If yes, there lies the problem.
I had similar issues when testing on my local 32-bit PC.
However once i installed on our actual servers (64-bit), the 1G limit
went away.
Have never tried setting the storage file to sizes in thousands of G
though.

Also, as far as i know, Linux will not support files bigger than 4G
unless the support is added to the kernel.
Not sure if Fedora Core 6 has the patch applied.

I cannot be very sure of this though.

Regards
A.S