Delay when fetching a page without Content-Length

Adam Sjøgren asjo at koldfront.dk
Sat Mar 31 18:35:06 CEST 2007

In my experiments, I've run into a long(ish) delay when I ask for a
url behind http auth:

 $ time wget -S http://www.koldfront.local/stats/
 [...¹]
 real    0m16.799s
 [...]

Going directly to Apache:

 $ time wget -S http://www.koldfront.local:8080/stats/
 [...²]
 real    0m0.013s
 [...]

I have previously observed such delays on pages where I didn't return
a Content-Length header (or, embarrassingly, did it wrong) - is this
related, or should it just work when Apache sends 'Transfer-Encoding:
chunked'?

(I have configured Varnish to 'pass' if there is an WWW-Authenticate
or Authorization-header³ - I hope that is correct).

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹  --18:27:24--  http://www.koldfront.local/stats/
            => `index.html'