"Whitescreen" issue with varnish 1.0.2-2 (debian etch)

Denis Brækhus denis at startsiden.no
Wed May 16 08:27:34 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I have begun testing varnish on our main server pool, and the initial tests worked smoothly.
However as soon as I put the box under load (gave it a slice of our production traffic) it started "fumbling" requests. I know it's not a very good description, but I have a hard time understanding exactly what goes wrong where.

I did some logging, however due to the fact that the error does not appear until a sufficient amount of traffic hits the system, the logs are quite large. So I really wondered what I should start looking for?  What kind of logmessages?

During my trials I stripped the Varnish config that debian ships to make sure none of those settings were causing trouble. Also I did test running Apache2.2 on it's own on that box, and that works out fine, nothing similar happens. I also disabled sendfile as per PHKs instructions.

I will try to compile a newer build, and do some more testing, but any pointers as to the kind of logentries I should look for would be excellent.

Regards
--
Denis Braekhus - Teknisk Ansvarlig ABC Startsiden AS
http://www.startsiden.no