Too many open files?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue May 22 09:54:45 CEST 2007

cripy <ccripy at gmail.com> writes:
> Hello, varnish suddenly dies after awhile with this message:
>

> Child said (2, 25657): <<Assert error in wrk_thread(), cache_pool.c line
> 213:
>  Condition((pipe(w->pipe)) == 0) not true.
>  errno = 24 (Too many open files)
>>>

> I have set the following in /etc/sysconfig/varnish:
> ulimit -n 131072
> NFILES=131072

Can you verify that the limit is actually applied?  e.g. add 'ulimit -a'
to /etc/init.d/varnish, right before where it starts varnishd, run
'/etc/init.d/varnish restart', and check that the file descriptor limit
really is 131072.

Can you also show us the result of typing 'param.show' in the management
interface?

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav