Support Cache-Control no-cache/private as per RFC2616 ?

BUSTARRET, Jean-francois jfbustarret at wat.tv
Mon Nov 19 17:50:13 CET 2007

Yet http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/FAQ says "Varnish was written from the ground up to be a high performance caching reverse proxy." Varnish is a cache, and should follow HTTP/1.1 RFCs.

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/HTTPFeatures also references these features :
355	MUST NOT	14.9.1	cache responses with cache-control: private
356	MUST NOT	14.9.1	use responses with cache-control: no-cache to satisfy other requests without successful revalidation

I don't see a problem of having to have the Cache-control logic written in VCL, as long as :
- the default configuration uses it (or the vcl code is in the man pages, not in google).
- it is as fast as C code (vcl is compiled, so it's ok)
- I don't have to use regexps. For now, I have to use two of them : (obj.http.Pragma ~ "no-cache" || obj.http.Cache-Control ~ "no-cache" - I am not using Cache-control: private), but two strpos-like would do the job, with less overhead.

Jean-François