Support Cache-Control no-cache/private as per RFC2616 ?

BUSTARRET, Jean-francois jfbustarret at wat.tv
Tue Nov 20 14:49:16 CET 2007

I won't reply to the first part of DES message...

I understand the point, and, as I said before, I really like the VCL approach. The real problem is that, for a new varnish user, it is difficult to understand what varnish really is. A new user would read the FAQ and think that varnish is a reverse proxy, but, as said, it isn't (out of the box, I agree that a reverse proxy is only a few lines of VCL code away).

IMHO, this is mainly a documentation problem. Why not :
- remove the term "reverse proxy" from the FAQ and replace it by "HTTP Accelerator",
- describe exactly what/when varnish caches by default,
- describe how to build a RFC2616 reverse proxy, and bundle a sample vcl with varnish.

As Poul-Henning told, someone should contribute/sponsor this. Having more time than money (and feeling not 100% welcome here), I can write some documentation if you agree.

Jean-François