VCL.List Output

James Quacinella james at nyi.net
Wed Sep 5 23:30:19 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

I was curious about the output of vcl.list, specifically as to what the
numbers meant, since I don't think its documented in the man page. I
went through the source and I think the number outputted is the
vcl->conf->busy structure member, which is incremented every time in
VCL_Get. I'm not sure exactly when that happens though.

I ask only because I could not seem to unload a certain configuration
using vcl.discard, which prompted me to stop and start the child so that
I could. Thats no big deal as its not on a production environment yet.
The commands I executed were as follows:

varnishadm -T x.x.x.x:8080 vcl.use boot
varnishadm -T x.x.x.x:8080 vcl.list
*       1 boot
        1 config
varnishadm -T x.x.x.x:8080 vcl.load config1
/usr/local/etc/varnish/static.vcl
varnishadm -T x.x.x.x:8080 vcl.load config2
/usr/local/etc/varnish/static_and_dynamic.vcl
varnishadm -T x.x.x.x:8080 vcl.list
*       1 boot
        1 config
        0 static
        0 static_and_dynamic
varnishadm -T x.x.x.x:8080 vcl.discard config

Which returns an error. Any idea why that one config was still 'busy'?

-- james