URL rewriting / ignoring query parameters?

Tom Pepper tom at razz.com
Mon Sep 10 22:59:55 CEST 2007

HI Poul:

Thanks for what should have probably been a glaringly obvious
answer.  I now have a somewhat more strange problem.

My disturbingly simple vcl_recv routine is presently:

backend default {
     set backend.host = "nyp-web-3.corp.razz.com";
     set backend.port = "80";
}

sub vcl_recv {

     set req.backend = default;
     set req.http.host = "www.razz.com";

     // change all /static/ requests into /mixer/ requests
     if (req.url ~ "/static/") {
        set req.url = regsub(req.url, "/static/", "/mixer/");
     }

     // strip query parameters from all swf requests (so they cache
as a single object)
     if (req.url ~ "\.swf?.*") {
         set req.url = regsub(req.url, "\.swf?.*", "\.swf");
     }

     if (req.request != "GET" && req.request != "HEAD") {
         pipe;
     }

     if (req.http.Expect) {
         pipe;
     }

     if (req.http.Authenticate || req.http.Cookie) {
         pass;
     }

     lookup;

}

This would (to my eyes) appear to closely mirror the default example
in vcf's manpage.  However, in practice, when running under this
configuration, many distinct requests seem to retrieve the same
document from the cache.  For example:

1) client requests http://varnish:10080/  -- varnishd returns / off
the backend correctly.
2) client requests /css/banner.css - varnishd returns correct file /
css/banner.css off of backend.
3) client requests /css/default.css - varnishd returns banner.css
4) client requests /images/blank.gif - varnishd returns banner.css

and so on.  commenting out the entire routine seems to get things
functioning, but has the caveat (according to the log) that there's a
fetch for every request, probably due to the fact that the browser
presents a cookie used site-wide, which per the above config would
seem to force a pass on every request.  am i doing something that
confuses the hash algorithm?  i'm invoking currently as:

varnishd -a 192.168.10.100:10080 -T 192.168.10.100:10088 -f /etc/
varnish/main.vcl -s file,/cache/varnish_storage.bin,1G -g nobody -u
nobody

i issue a url.purge .* before each test run.

Thanks again,
-Tom