Varnishd startup error in mgt_vcc.c

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue Sep 11 10:28:42 CEST 2007

Jim Baack <jim at thebaacks.com> writes:
> I am new to Varnish and trying to get it running on FC5.
>
> I get this error on 1.1.1 and the current 1.1 branch from SVN.
>
> Internal error: cc(1) exit status 0xffffffff
>
> My startup command line is
>
> /usr/local/sbin/varnishd -a 127.0.0.1:3000 -f /etc/varnish.conf -P
> /var/run/varnish.pid -u apache -g apache -sfile,/tmp/varnish.cache,1G
>
> I did some very basic debugging and the bin.XXX file appears to be
> successfully generated from the vcl.XXX file. Any idea what the problem
> might be or what I should try?

It's hard to tell.  The error message itself is wrong in that the
return value from pclose(3) is *not* the exit status of the child
process.  In fact, it is possible for pclose(3) to return -1 (which is
what you see here) even if the VCL code compiled just fine.

What happens if you run 'varnishd -C -f /etc/varnish.conf'?

If that fails as well, can you strace it (making sure to trace child
processes as well)?

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav